Tuesday, May 19, 2009

~Sit and Sort~

Ok, the truth is...this has to be one of the worse of my chores! Sorting socks takes so much time and seems to never be done. There are always those that don't have matches! I took about an hour going through the sock basket and still have a couple dozen leftover!
A friend of mine suggested using safety pins. You simply pin the socks and put them in the drawers. The child unpins them to wear them and then pins them and throws them in the hamper at the end of the day. They go through the wash together...and you just put them away again. Sounds like it would work...it doesn't. I can't get my boys to pin the socks! They poke the pins through everything else, disassemble the pins, leave the pins lying open on the floor or "loose" the pins.

So, I have a question for you! Does anyone have suggestions/ideas for me?!?!?!?! What should I do with all these socks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have the boys sort and fold the socks, it's and easy task and would free you up a little. As far as the "extra" socks go I always have a little basket full of them and put the extra sock in there and go through it every so often and then I do find matches. Sometimes I find the match when things are pulled out from underneath their bed! :-) Val

-C said...

live in new orleans. wear sandals and flip flops year around (except for about 6 weeks). that's the best I got. ;) i think they make some kind of plastic gadgets to keep them together too ... maybe a google search would help you find something "as seen on TV". LOL

Kim said...

I have only found one thing that works for my 4 boys. I buy the oldest grey tube socks, the next oldest white with grey soles, the next one plain white tube socks and the youngest white tube with stripe on the top.
I don't mate them. When I'm doing laundry I put the socks in piles and they take the piles to their rooms. When they need a pair of socks they grab two and go.
I don't tend to pass down socks because having boys they either get so dirty and holey that I just can't pass them down.
Kim

lady m said...

Dear Danielle,

I have two boys and a husband. What I have done is that I buy three different kinds of socks for each person. One has a blue toe, another has a yellow toe and the other has a red toe.

Also, they only have 10 pairs of socks each. This way, there is not a great deal of laundry and the socks are not overflowing or missmatched.

I pray this helps :)

lady m

Ways of Zion said...

sock puppets! or dusters (simply put your hand inside and wipe!)