I asked my Mother in law what she wanted for her birthday last month... she said something handmade would be nice... and then she mentioned a nature tote bag would be great. She sent me a photo of the things she carries with her on her nature journeys and I got some ideas as to where she wanted everything inside/outside the bag. She also mentioned blue (or a color that wouldn't show too much dirt) and red piping.
I was going for a patterned fabric, but couldn't find anything I really loved. It turns out the plain dark blue denim was perfect!
I took an afternoon to draw it out. I didn't want to make any big mistakes:-) I ended up changing things as I went, but I never had to redo anything, so I'm happy with my "pattern."
And the finished product...
I got the handles at Joann's and love how they feel. They are actually long enough to go over your shoulder. My sewing machine does embroidery so I put that on the front to liven it up a bit. I found the little iron on bird and fell in love with him!
Looking at the front... there are two small pouches on the left one for a phone and one for a camera; one big pouch on the right for poo-poo bags:-) One big flat pocket on the front. I didn't have exact measurements on anything, so we will see where she ends up putting things! I'm hoping I got close to the right sizes!
My m-i-l frequents state parks with her little dog Molly and takes beautiful photos! I'm so glad I could give her something useful.






3 comments:
WOW!! That's awesome, Danielle!
If you ever want to make another one and sell it, let me know. :-)
WOW, I'm speachless.....really, that's amazing!
This is amazing - then again, all of your sewing projects are. Too funny about the phone pouch. heehee
Post a Comment