Monday, January 9, 2012

~My Egg Trick~

Fresh eggs every day are wonderful!

Twenty one fresh eggs every day are a lot!

I have had to come up with new and exciting way to serve eggs. My guys love deviled eggs, red beet eggs and egg salad... but, I hate peeling fresh eggs. I tried to let them sit for a week in the fridge but that still didn't work... not to mention the fact that 8 dozen eggs take up a lot of room!

I was reading about eggs and read that they do not "need" to be refrigerated... once they are refrigerated, they need to stay refrigerated though. One day without refigeration is like one week in the fridge.

So, I tried leaving my eggs out for 3 days on the counter and then I hard boiled them. They were still a little rough to peel. I tried 4 days and they were perfect! I have been doing this for two months and have only had 2 eggs that were rough to peel! (I'm guessing someone put them in the wrong basket.)

Every morning I tell the boys where to put the eggs... in the fridge or in a basket. I keep three baskets on my counter with sticky notes. The notes tell me what day the eggs were laid and what day I need to boil them.

I have waited 5 days to do two days of eggs together and haven't had a problem. I'm not sure I'd leave them out in a heat wave, but for now, it is working well!



They peel so nice that Kiersten often helps me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL THANKS!!! I didn't know about this. I've had hens for 20+ years!
I just read this to hubby because he's been getting on me about leaving the eggs sitting on the drain board after I wash them, sometimes overnight or two days before I'll put them in the fridge. I'll just have to let them sit out 2 more days! :-) He'll be no more on my case,and I'll be able to peel the eggs better! Smart lady, Danielle. :-)

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

I'll have to remember that. I'm hoping to get chickens some day. :)

Tracy said...

I NEVER place my eggs in the fridge, even in the summer, and it's warmer here than where you live. Also, no washing until you're using them.