Monday, February 28, 2011

~Encouragement - The Unexpected~


One of my boys hates school. And, it seems, for good reason. He just struggles so much it sometimes get overwhelming for him. He had one of those days last week and I was getting frustrated. There was nothing I could do to get him out of his gruffness. As I went to bed, my thoughts were "I'll show him what rough is, I'm gonna let him see how tough life can be... ok, God, I know that is not the right attitude... show me how to respond to this child." When I got up in the morning I realized he desperately needed encouragement. Lots of it. He still had to do the yucky stuff that comes with life, but I could fill the cracks in with encouragement. I made sure to love him in little ways all day. I had promised to make him liners for his muck boots awhile ago and hadn't gotten to it... this was the time. He had a much better day and ended up doing very well on what made him so grumpy the day before. We will continue to encourage him, and also spend some time teaching contentment and persistence.

That time with my son led right into me receiving four very unexpected encouraging "gifts" this week. I received one by email, one by fb, one by the telephone, and one by mail! God is incredible how He could orchestrate all that!

I thank God this week for helping me to see that encouragement is a gift... one of his thousands of gifts.

142. Freckled face boys, not just because freckles are adorable... but because it also means there has been some...

143. Sunshine! We have had 3 days this week where you go out, turn your face to the sun, and be warmed and filled with it's light and warmth!

144. Despite the absence of a green thumb, this plant survived the winter! I loved seeing it's blooms against the snow background outside!
145. Two sets of liners, two happy boys, four warm feet
146. Watching my little helper suck up dust bunnies! Wish I had it on video! She would suck something up and laugh like crazy... then go find more! Not that I have dust bunnies or anything;-)
147. Free coffee with a birthday coupon from DD

148. Free primrose with a birthday coupon from the local greenhouse

149. Email from a blog friend with an encouraging verse

150. FB note from a friend just checking in

151. Phone call from a far away friend that came at a very bad time of day. The friend was gracious enough to call back during nap time. I was able to give the boys things to keep them busy so I could talk for 45 min uninterrupted! Bliss! This friend shared a verse too!

152. An unexpected package in my mailbox containing a book to be read from a book lover and fellow counter, my M-I-L.

153. An unplanned trip to the sewing machine store to inquire about some things. One of the things on my list was that I was looking into buying a walking foot... until I saw the price! Then, she told me one was just returned that morning... available at half price! I used my birthday money from my F-I-L and my grandparents.

154. A sunny Sunday afternoon walk down to the mill with the whole family.


I will be working on passing that encouragement on this week! Will you join me?

Isa 35:3 Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

4 comments:

asnipofgoodness said...

great post, and great encouragement!

Renata said...

What a wonderful list! That plant does look beautiful contrasted against the snow! Your daughter is adorable!
Have a wonderful day
~ visiting from A holy experience
Renata:)

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts....yes, I will join you in passing some encouragement on. :-)

Craig said...

I’m here from Ann’s – and I know it’s Wednesday and Multitude Monday was – well – Monday – but I am determined to keep reading these – what – 40,000 gratitude linkies…

And I come to yours and I am smiling. Because that does sound kind of orchestrated :)

And I always pick a favorite from the list – and mine today, from yours is:
154. A sunny Sunday afternoon walk down to the mill with the whole family. (because it’s all about family – and this is how memories are made) {smile}

It was really nice reading you today.

God Bless and keep you and all of yours