Monday, October 19, 2009

~Back to Baking and Two Breakfast Tips~

It is so nice to be back in the kitchen baking again! This cool weather has me changing my menus over to soups and casseroles...I love a side of homemade bread with those! Of course, I like to finish the meal with something sweet!

I spent Sunday afternoon baking cookies and scrapbooking. What a fun treat!

Here are the loaves of whole wheat apple bread I made last week...delicious toasted for breakfast!
And my first try at whole wheat French Bread...from my blogfriend Tracy. She has a bunch of scone recipes that I'm anxious to try soon!

Now for the breakfast tips:
Tip 1... I don't like getting up in the morning...I REALLY don't like getting up when the house is cold and the boys are hungry and I'm stumbling around trying to wake up and cook at the same time. So I often (not always) plan breakfast the day ahead at lunch time! While I am cleaning up from lunch I will bake some oatmeal, make some baked french toast to soak overnight, make a coffee cake, or at the very least get a pack of english muffins or bagles out of the freezer. Did you know you can make your pancake batter a day ahead and just keep it in the fridge!!?!??! This makes many of my mornings much happier for all of us...especially now when I have to feed Kiersten before anyone else gets to eat!
I just pulled some baked oatmeal with blueberries out of the oven for tomorrow!
Tip 2... I have one 3 ring binder full of only breakfast/bread recipes! This tip came from Monica. It makes it so much easier for me!!! Monica covered her binder with fabric but I just laminated some scrapbook paper and hot glued it to my binder with some ribbon around the edge:-)
Do any of you have a favorite breakfast food or a breakfast tip to share!?!?!?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

these are TERRIFIC ideas!!! Thanks for blogging on this today!! :-) I am another one who just can't seem to get up before the kids do. I try, but without much success. Which then leads to a frusterating time trying to get breakfast out for the youngin's while they are climbing all over me wanting to eat. Any ideas for the non-breakfast eater? My daughter seems only to "pick" at breakfast.... *sigh* anyways-post some of your breakfast recipes! And that apple bread recipe-YUM!

Unknown said...

Yes, post that apple bread recipe as well as your baked oatmeal, please! sounds so yummy!