Wednesday, June 15, 2011

~Crafting Horses~

It has been way to long since I crafted anything. I have not turned my sewing machine on in over a month and don't think I even picked up a crochet hook... except maybe to clean up. I did start a crochet project over the weekend but I needed something else to get into!

Kiersten has been riding a pipe around the house and Nathan is talking about one of those stick buffalo's he saw at Christmas time... BINGO!

I set aside yesterday afternoon for some fun! My sister-in-law made something like this for my older boys... they loved them! They lasted awhile but my younger three never saw them.

I kinda threw it together as I went.

If you want to craft some little person some happiness, here are the directions!

First, put the little princess down for her nap. You might also want to put prince charming in a quiet area with some books for an hour:0)

Next, gather supplies. One pair of jeans, twine, yarn, buttons, hot glue, poly-fill, dowels
Cut the legs off your jeans... my jeans were boys size 10 slim... I think almost any size bigger than a 10 will do as well... you want to make sure the leg is long enough.

Turn the legs inside out and wrap the cut end with twine.

Flip your leg back the right way and fill it with poly-fill or old socks or old nylons...

Then put the dowel in about 9". I used some hot glue to hold it and then wrapped with twine. If you can keep the stick on the top (the faded knee part, you'll have a better end product!)
Bend the head over so the faded knee part is inside the bend (this way the top of your stick is very padded). Wrap the nose with twine and then tie on some reins. I also stuck some hot glue under his neck so his head would hang down better.

Raid your button stash for some eyes and cut out white circles a little larger than the eyes with foam or felt. Glue!
Last thing is the hair. I cut pieces of yarn about 36" long. I pulled my needle through like in the photo and tied a knot. I cut off my needle and did it again, and again, and again... that was the longest part. I ended up taking it outside to do it. It was so nice out I couldn't help myself! (I did give Kiersten's horse some bangs and a bow.)
Tad-ah!!!!
Now place them where the prince and princess will be sure to find them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is cute! My little grandson would love this! :-) Thanks for the instructions.

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Fun!! I should try something like this on a rainy day. :) My little ones would have so much fun. :)

Carolyn said...

I love the horses..by the looks of things, so do your kids. Great idea.