Tuesday, May 31, 2011

~Memorial Weekend~

What a weekend! We have been specializing in fun lately!

Gregg got mulch as soon as he got home from work on Friday... I only got a little bit more of the flower bed cleaned out but it is good to mulch right away... and we actually used the whole trailer load! I'm so excited!!! The front of the house is just about done.

We were cleaning things up for the night when I remembered we had fireworks leftover from last summer. Everyone loved my idea;0)

I got up nice and early Saturday for my morning walk... I do enjoy starting my day that way! We really hadn't planned anything for sure... we talked about a lot of things. I am normally the work, work, work, person... but I really felt like we needed a bike ride instead of more garden work. The boys had worked well for me during the week... and we can't do bike trails that often... so biking it is!

We made loaded scrambled eggs for breakfast and I did a quick two hour clean up and pack up. Gregg and the boys gathered bikes, helmets, and bungees. I packed most of our lunch. We made a special stop at Chick fil a for sandwiches!

Some little fingers must have grabbed my camera because the color is off... but we had a great ride and the weather was just perfect. Nathan didn't even make it a mile... he hasn't gotten practice on hills without his training wheels. Eric made it the whole 9.5 miles!



We had another quick pit stop after our bike ride. I unpacked and repacked in about an hour! This time I made sandwiches and repacked snack foods and water bottles. Off to the races! I have not gone for many years... I don't mind staying home with my little people. This was a special weekend. This track was only a half hour from our house and we knew two of the guys driving. They raced quarter midgets last year with our boys.

I really enjoyed the racing after the sun went down. The sun is blaring hot right in your face the first hour or so. Gregg's brother and sister in law met us there for a few hours. We enjoyed going into the pits to meet up with our friends. Kiersten didn't do very well and Nathan just wanted to eat and go to the bathroom (this is why I stay home:-) but we all enjoyed our night. We actually drove separate so I got home with three sleeping children at 11:30 and got myself to bed just after 12... what a long day!



Sunday was our day of rest... and boy, did we need it! Our church recognized the veterans in the morning service. We have several men that served 20 or more years and some from WWII up until today.

A local town had their carnival this weekend and we went to enjoy the fireworks after our evening church service. We found a great spot to park! I really like fireworks and we don't always get to see them because they are so late at night (yes, 10 pm is late for me!) but we knew we could sleep in a little on Monday so we went for it!

Monday we headed to my parents for the day. I had a cousin visiting from out of state that I haven't seen for years so it was nice to see her and meet her husband. My grandparents, uncle and family, and brother and family all joined in. We wanted to be outside but at 90 degrees we all hid in the house... well, the kids braved the heat but the adults were too chicken!

My dad did the grilling and we all brought side dishes... there were plenty of lunch leftovers for us to stay and enjoy supper too! My mom made ice cream sandwiches for dessert!
I didn't even set the alarm this morning! We all slept until 8 am!

I am thankful for the freedoms we enjoy and the military around the world keeping us free. (I really need to take some time with my boys to explain Memorial Day... that is on my school list for next year!) Both of my grandfathers, my dad and some uncles served. Several friends have served. Some of my cousins are currently serving. It isn't an easy life for a family so THANK YOU to each of you that has sacrificed for your country!

2 comments:

asnipofgoodness said...

I love that first picture, so cute!

Crystal said...

What a full and wonderful weekend it looks like you had.