One of my favorite book sellers recently had a huge sale. I bought a number of books that were 50-70% off! This one immediately caught my eye...
They usually sell books that were written 100 or more years ago. This book takes place in the mountain of Kentucky from about 1947 to 1979. Most of their books are fictional stories with lots of character training built it. This book is a true to life story! Love those! I wondered why they would offer a book so different from their "normal" selection. I figured it had to be good:0)This is a story of a couple with a grown daughter that decide to leave their comfortable life and move to the mountains of Kentucky to open a Children's Home. This Children's Home would be different... they would never turn anyone away. The author is the "mother" of the home. She wanted to record what happened to share it with the 200+ children that walked through their door. As far as I could tell they always had 30 or more children. Many people came to volunteer their time. They had teachers and cooks. They had helpers arrives that were skilled in the very skill that was needed. They lived in very cramped housing for a number of years before being able to build a beautiful home.
Some quick thoughts...
- I was amazed with the way God provided and His perfect timing.
- I was inspired by their reaction to the rough things that life threw at them.
- I loved the creative organization and the making do attitude.
- I saw a great example of a submissive wife.
- I was saddened by the way unwanted children were treated.
This couple was, I believe, in their 50's when taking on this job. What an incredible testimony to what God can do through you if you are willing to be used. They didn't think their child rearing days were over... now it is time to think about themselves. They just kept giving. Not even a thought of retirement. Mrs Ragsdale was very honest with some of her times of struggling. That was helpful to read that too.
A great read!






3 comments:
This sounds really good. I loved the one you wrote about a while back, The Basket of Flowers. It's one of my favorites. I got the book and CD. Love it. :-)
Thanks for this post. I'm always looking for something good to read.
:-)
Looks like a good book. I hope to read more this year, so often i get busy, that I don't take anytime to read anything.
Any other good books you were blessed by? Also was this from Vision Forum?:)
Tanya ~ The Open Door book was from Lamplighter… Vision forum does carry some of their books, but I don’t think they carry this one.
Also, a book I think you would really enjoy is Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell. I borrowed it from someone at church and liked it so much I had to buy my own copy. It will be one of those books I want to look over EVERY year. I will blog about it when I get to reread it this year!
I have another good one I’m in the middle of. That one is called Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic. If you like Sheperding a Child’s Heart (or books helping you focus on nurture not control) but need some really good illustrations, this is a great book! I absolutely love her word pictures. She talks about sibling fighting like chickens. Our chickens have actually killed each other with all their pecking so this was a great illustration for us! I can’t wait to blog about it in a few weeks… when I get a chance to finish reading!
Both these books are shorter… with shorter chapters! They are inexpensive as well.
Post a Comment