Thursday, July 1, 2010

~The Garden~

Our garden is growing slowly. We haven't had much rain this year so all the plants are on the small side.
Left...mint and strawberries
Right... wax beans, green beans, chamomile
Left... tomatoes, peppers, beets
Right... pickles and onions




I have been using a lot of the mint and got my first picking of green beans!!! Everything else is still growing:-) I added a list in my side bar to try to keep track of how much we are actually getting. At this point I don't grow tomato, pepper and beans to freeze and can... just to eat. The pickles and beets will be canned.

I need to learn how to use my chamomile this year! Any tips!??!?!

2 comments:

Fruitful Harvest said...

Hi Danielle,

Your garden is doing slightly better than mine!
All though I did harvest my brocolli, I have no other veggie plant even producing any thing!

I have my herbs in containers and most they come back on their own and are going great.
Basil is one that does not come back and I have had to buy 4 plants this season as they keep dying!

I had(last year) and do have chamomile in the garden this year.
Jackie would go out daily with scissors and cut the buds off the plant. We would dry them on a saucer and then I stored them in a mason jar. We has so much....we finally just stoped cutting it. It needed to be done every few days! At the end of summer we got busy with VBS (2 weeks in a row) and other stuff.
What I learned just about a month ago is that chamomile reseeds its self. I did not know and we tilled up the whole garden and now though I planted another pack of seeds in another spot in the garden.....I have the stuff sprouting ALL over the garden! :) It adds charm eehh?

You can steep a teaspoon by it self or add other herbs to make compost tea or herbal tea as most call it!

You can make your own compost tea blends with mints,lemon balm and other plants ie Anise seeds is used for coughs.
Echinacea is used for cold and flu.
Tea is made from the dried roots and leaves of the plant. (I have seeds but have not yet planted them) It takes 2 years to flower.

I did plant calendula in hopes to make a skin salve for scrapes/burns and fungal infections. Recipes are on the package of seeds for all that I mentioned.

Sorry if I rambled...
Happy Gardening! :)

Peace and Love,
Georgiann

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Gardens look good! The beans look delicious, ours are just starting to flower here. :)

I think we may ahve to start watering, we are having a dry spell! Good for hay though!

Have a lovely weekend!