Friday, February 7, 2014

~Lights Out~

Gregg took 4 boys to the Outdoorsman show on Tuesday in Harrisburg.  We were all going to go but I thought Nathan and Kiersten would be bored and I didn't want to have to entertain them there... Id rather just keep them home... I wasn't to excited about going anyway :-)  

Classic Nathan conversation...Dad is talking about he Outdoorsman show and Nathan is asking questions.  Nathan wants to know... If it's an Ourdoorsman show, why is it inside?  Valid question isn't it! ha!

We had a beautiful snow on Monday and there was plenty left on Tuesday for us to enjoy playing in it again.  They watched movies and played games, did puzzles and enjoyed special snacks.  We also ran to the grocery store to beat the storm that was coming Wednesday.


Well, the ice storm certainly came!  Gregg left for work a little after 7 and by the time my alarm went off at 7:15 there was no power.  Someone hit a pole at the end of our street.  Around noon the truck was being towed away and the pole was being secured.  The electric company was working and I thought by early afternoon we would have power again.  WRONG.  Thankfully I did fill two buckets for flushing and one cooler for drinking.

We managed to get through Wednesday.  We slept warm.  We didn't sleep well because Kiersten was in our bed to make sure she stayed warm.  Thursday morning the house was 53 degrees!  Gregg went to get some kerosene heaters and run a few errands.  The kids and I crashed at a friends house for the day.  I am very thankful we had 3 offers of refuge.  The Shirks were wonderful hosts for the day and  close enough to home that I could still watch over the dogs and Gregg could go back and fourth trying to keep life in our cold house. 

We went home Thursday night to enjoy our new heat and our own beds.


Just after we were all snuggled in, the power truck arrived.  We had seen a few around but they all looked at the pole and left.  This time it was a big bucket truck!

Oh the relief!  I know there are still thousands of people without power and I am very thankful to have gotten mine back so quickly!  Also thankful for all the out of state workers that are still here working.

It has been two very crazy weeks... I am so ready for a quiet week at home!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a "Long Winter" hasn't it?!
Glad to hear your warm again.