We finished The Big Woods this week!
We learned about the moon, poison ivy, cheese, honey, weaving and "crying wolf"
Our project day on Thursday was filled!
We took a trip to a local cheese maker, September Farms. It is a family owned business! We could watch some of the process but it really wasn't that interesting. They were stirring and heating milk and taking the cheese out of their molds. There was no real tour, just a big window. The country store, however, was a lot of fun! There were samples of so much yumminess! Dip, salsa, mustard, cheeses... wow! That part was really fun! I never thought I'd enjoy fruit in my cheese, but yes I do, it's good stuff!
We were at Christina's house today. We sent the kids out to search for poison ivy, oak, and sumac. We only found ivy... I think! I'm not very good with plants. Oak and Sumac are difficult for me to find.
Christina prepared a meal of venison, baked beans and johnny cake (something Laura would have eaten). My boys loved the venison (duh, it was meat!). The kids didn't like the Johnny cake until we put some maple syrup on top. I brought different kids of cheese to sample. Christina made pumpkin pie too!
We really enjoy food ☺
We ruined one whole gallon of milk trying to make mozzarella cheese. We got it right the 2nd time! It took one gallon of milk to make this much mozzarella! Thankfully we didn't have to use the real lining of a calves stomach... we had rennet tablets on hand. I have a lot of whey to use up!
We brought the kids in a few times to see the cheese process. We let them do a little kneading.
Cheese for supper! We got to try our homemade mozzarella and several of these cheeses from the cheese maker. I enjoyed them all!
Can't wait to see what we learn this week!






No comments:
Post a Comment