Wednesday, May 14, 2014

~Prairie Primer~

One of our school projects was learning about wool.  I love books, but some things just need to be hands on!  My neighbor has a whole bunch of sheep... She told me she learned how to spin... and she has shown me some of her projects.  I recently learned she has even started dying her own wool.  Sounded like a great fit :-)

I asked Nancy if she would mind teaching the kids... She, being a great neighbor and a lover of education, did a great job!!!  She had an area set up in the barn with books and all the tools of the trade.  The kids really enjoyed it... and the mom's enjoyed it even more.  

She gave us some history and a lot of hands on practice.

showing us how to spin

Carding the wool

Kiersten helping her take it off

Jared got to do the hard part... it does take some muscle.

Luke trying to spin

I got a turn too!  I certainly don't need another hobby, but it was really fun!  I think it may have been one of my favorite project days.

No comments: