I was reading this well written blog post tonight.. and this verse jumped out at me...
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
But before I dug in, I read the verse before it...
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
But before I dug in, I read the verse before it...
It was written specifically to young men. Interesting that these qualities are directed toward young men who in our day are just "enjoying their youth." I would have assumed this was written to older men who had learned life's lesson and have grown in the Lord.
Back to the verse...
"In all things" means ALL things... simple, yes!?!?
"shewing thyself a pattern of good works:" Do I exhibit or show valuable or virtuous deeds? If so, is it as a pattern would be (consistent), or maybe it just happens haphazardly!?!??
"in doctrine shewing uncorruptness," Is the instruction I'm living pure to the Word?
"gravity" Is the instruction I'm living honest?
"sincerity" Is the instruction I'm living genuine?
I saw this verse through the glasses of raising children (scripture must be applied!) Am I instructing them with a pattern of purity, honesty and genuineness. If not, my children will notice... even if no one else does! If I am... this next verse is a gem!
The next verse says...
Titus 2:8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
Isn't that just the icing on the cake?!?!? Wouldn't that be wonderful if my deeds were so pure, honest and genuine that I could not be condemned... and that would lead to someone (most likely my children) seeing Christ in me... and they are quieted? Hopefully left thinking about what they are missing (either Christ Himself or growth).
I want to live a consistent life of valuable deeds: I choose to pattern for my children purity, honesty and genuineness. What a fine goal... totally unattainable on my own! Yet He Abideth Faithful!
And, of course, I made a verse card... because my memory is short:-) Feel free to copy it and print it for yourself!
"shewing thyself a pattern of good works:" Do I exhibit or show valuable or virtuous deeds? If so, is it as a pattern would be (consistent), or maybe it just happens haphazardly!?!??
"in doctrine shewing uncorruptness," Is the instruction I'm living pure to the Word?
"gravity" Is the instruction I'm living honest?
"sincerity" Is the instruction I'm living genuine?
I saw this verse through the glasses of raising children (scripture must be applied!) Am I instructing them with a pattern of purity, honesty and genuineness. If not, my children will notice... even if no one else does! If I am... this next verse is a gem!
The next verse says...
Titus 2:8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
Isn't that just the icing on the cake?!?!? Wouldn't that be wonderful if my deeds were so pure, honest and genuine that I could not be condemned... and that would lead to someone (most likely my children) seeing Christ in me... and they are quieted? Hopefully left thinking about what they are missing (either Christ Himself or growth).
I want to live a consistent life of valuable deeds: I choose to pattern for my children purity, honesty and genuineness. What a fine goal... totally unattainable on my own! Yet He Abideth Faithful!
And, of course, I made a verse card... because my memory is short:-) Feel free to copy it and print it for yourself!







1 comment:
I love your verse card! So creative and pretty...Would be perfect to hang somewhere, as a constant visual reminder (I need that!). :) My husband is actually teaching this very passage at our church's men's retreat this coming weekend, so it has been the topic of much conversation and meditation in our home recently. We've discussed so many of the very things you brought out in your post. Yes - totally unattainable on our own...but thankfully, as you said, HE abideth faithful!! :)
~Veronica
Post a Comment